Monday, February 10, 2014

3 Things to Know Before Coloring Your Hair!

Hi guys, I decided to make a post dedicated towards hair coloring. I get asked questions all the time about my hair, such as what products I use, how to achieve a pastel tint, how to keep it vibrant, and more, so I'd figure I'd share with you all :)!

First, I'd like to explain the different types of hair color. There is semi-permanent, demi-permanent, and permanent hair colors.

1. Know the difference
Semi-Permanent hair colors are only temporary, and last 6-12 washes. Since they don't contain ammonia or developer, they are usually referred to as a "stain" since they coat the hair, instead of penetrating the hair.
Demi-Permanent hair colors last longer than Semi-Permanent, but not as long as Permanent. It doesn't contain ammonia, but a small amount of peroxide that allows the hair cuticle to slightly open to absorb more color. Demi-Permanent dyes usually last 12-24 washes.
Permanent hair dyes are great if you are wanting long-lasting hair color, but only if it's a color you are okay to have for a long, long time!



2. Know the brands
Other great hair color lines include...
-Ion Color Brilliance
-Clairol
-Wella
-Redken
-Paul Mitchell

But don't worry, I haven't forgotten the list of great brands for crazy colors...
-Pravana
-Special Effects
-Directions
-Manic Panic (if you're looking for something temporary)


3. How to prevent fading
So, now let's say you colored your hair, and of course you want to keep your hair color vibrant, and long-lasting. Whether you color it yourself or go and get it done at a salon, the less you color your hair, the less expensive it will be. To prevent your hair color from fading, first I suggest not washing it everyday (dry shampoo really is going to become your hair's best friend). Besides, when you over-wash your hair, your scalp goes into panic mode and starts to over-produce oil to try to make up for what was stripped away by your shampoo and keep its natural balance.



My favorite dry shampoo is Tresemme' but there are many other great brands out there! When it comes time to wash your hair, I strongly suggest using cold water. It keeps the hair cuticle closed which will prevent hair color from bleeding.



A great conditioner will also keep the cuticle closed, and also of course add moisture, which in my case is faaantastic, considering I had to bleach my hair to get a pastel purple. I have had luck with L'Oreal Paris Total Repair 5 Conditioner. It makes my hair super soft, and it's very inexpensive and easy to find.





I have found that these 3 tips will make a big difference, and I suggest them to anyone who is new to hair coloring, or simply wanting to learn more! If you have any questions, please leave them below and I will answer them.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read this, for more posts, please follow my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Great read, thanks for the tips! You should get some product sponsors and ads for your page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete